Hackett from 1960 to 1990

James Walker has prepared a chronology of key historic events impacting on Hackett from 1960 to 1990 as set out below:

January 1959 – First group of Defence personnel arrive in Canberra from Melbourne

August-September 1959 – Second group of Defence personnel arrive

1961 – First residential leases offered in Hackett

6 March 1963 – Monaro Mall opened

30 July 1963 – Contract let to J.Fletcher Co P/L for 159,848 pounds for construction of Hackett Primary School

1 January 1964 – New Presbyterian Parish for Northern Canberra Suburbs instituted – later called St Margarets – House allotted in Harris Place

10 April 1964 – First Presbyterian Minister Rev. Donald Erickson ordained and inducted

April 1964 – Lake Burley Griffin reaches peak water level

17 October 1964 – Lake Burley Griffin inaugurated by Prime Minister

1964 – Dickson Shops built

January 1965 – Dickson Pool opens

1965 – Haddon Court “Handed Over”

1967 – Canberra population reaches 100,000

16 December 1967 – Dedication of St Margaret’s/Holy Cross Church Building

1976 – Dickson Secondary College opens

1977 – Hackett Primary School reaches 429 student enrolments

11 December 1990 – Hackett Primary School closes

 

Facebook Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com
Website legals from Law For Websites
X